Pondering the complexities of life.

Friday, October 28

Halloween Fun

My friend Karen and I went to one of those haunted Halloween attractions last night. This one is held in a large Christmas tree farm and involves two buildings and a haunted hay ride.

You start out walking through a building which is identified as an abandoned insane asylum. Actors jump out and startle you from behind walls and curtains. A crazed psycho locked in a cell bangs a metal chair against the bars as you turn the corner and enter the room. A monster-like creature follows you through several rooms. A woman proudly shows off her apparently alien baby. Exiting the asylum, you find yourself in a graveyard where the bones of human arms or legs are emerging from shallow graves and a bloody human skeleton turns and bakes on an oversized rotisserie. At the end of the path, you board a cart and ride off to visit an old western haunted town. Along the way, the cart is boarded by a drunk from the saloon, a pair of brawling rednecks, three whackos brandishing chainsaws and other assorted frightening weirdoes. The cart stops in front of a large metal warehouse building which bears signs warning of the presence of toxic waste. You are handed a pair of 3D glasses as you enter the building. The paint on the walls creates 3D images. It's an incredibly cool effect and it makes it difficult to immediately discern the 3D graphics from the live actors. My throat is a little raw this morning from all the screaming I did last night!

---------------------------

The Halloween party at Paul's tomorrow night will incorporate two groups of guests: Paul's friends and his kids' friends. There will be a 40-something crowd and a 20-something crowd. Paul had invited my 18-year-old daughter to attend, but she'd opted to accept an invitation to a party being hosted by a boy from her school instead. Knowing that Paul's kids intended to play drinking games (there is a funnel involved), I thought it might be best that my daughter NOT attend the party anyway. To my knowledge (and I'll grant you, I'm her mother, so what do I know?), she's never attended any wild drinking parties. Last night, my daughter changed her mind and decided to go with me to Paul's party. Uh oh… In addition to the drinking games, I'm intending to spend the night there. It's an hour drive between our houses and it will be really late by the time the party ends. No problem, my daughter will stay over too. I'll just need to make arrangements for the dog now. But - and Kira will once again relate to this, since we are apparently twins separated at birth (she's the good-looking one!) - where do I sleep???

Sigh…it's all so complicated!!

13 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Listen, your daughter ain't stupid. So where WOULD the 110-pound gorilla sleep? Anywhere she damn wants.

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

Where does she currently think you plan to sleep?

1:20 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Hoss: At 18, you're right, she's not stupid. However, I'm not entirely sure she sees the different between her teenage relationships and my grown-up relationships. Do I want to be saying, "Do as I say, not as I do??"

Monique: It was not discussed. Paul was at my house late one night. He was tired and I told him he could stay over...but he'd have to sleep on the couch. That particular night, my 12-year-old son was there. It's less of an issue with my daughter because...as Hoss pointed out...she clearly KNOWS we didn't book separate rooms on our trip to New Hampshire. Then again, maybe KNOWING could be even worse!! EGADS!!

1:49 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

With the costumes you and Paul are wearing plus your recent trip to New Hampshire, I think it's safe to say the secret's out. If you sleep separately, I think it would look pretty fake and insincere. (Those aren't really the right words but the right one escapes me. Maybe you know what I mean.
You don't think she's been to any wild drinking parties? I would bet you are wrong about that.
If you get a chance, check out my site. There's a surprise.
Have fun!
[*muttering under my breath* Parties, parties. Always parties. How come I never get to go to parties?]

3:36 PM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

That haunted house sounded NEAT!!! I've often wondered whether the haunted houses in the New England area might be better than what we have in the midwest.

Wondering about something else too. As with your previous article about the "Big Bargain" chain store, you don't mention the name of the haunted house. Any particular reason you avoid specifics? Curious Big Dave wants to know.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger naughtygirl said...

lol i love halloween and halloween stuff!

2:06 PM

 
Blogger ... said...

Happy Halloween WordWhiz!

2:42 PM

 
Blogger mcgibfried said...

i miss the haunted houses...

no that the kid is here, i get to relive that era guilt free!

wOOt.

9:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she'll get so drunk from the funnel that she'll pass out and not even CARE where you sleep.

Now there's a thought!

;)

9:52 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Big Dave: I was trying to avoid naming names because I wanted to side-step any possible LEGAL issues...then I realized I'd named "Best Buy" in the post just below. Oops!! The haunted house place was called "Field of Screams" - but not the more famous one in Pennsylvania.

Jerzee: ME TOO!

McG: Kids come in handy once in a while.

Real Me: So much for motherly instincts. My daughter had a GREAT time at the party. She made new friends, had fun and - unlike many of the college-aged kids - did not get drunk, pass out or throw up. She DID play some drinking games (nothing involving a funnel), but used low-alcohol content drinks (wine coolers and such) and was remarkably responsible. She's anxious to attend the next college-aged party!

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Ok, Mandy, you know my brain has an odd way of looking at the world...even if my 18-yr-old had an inkling I was likely sleeping with my boyfriend, I'd probably sleep seperately from him around her because that way, she had no grounds to say, but YOU sleep with YOUR boyfriend around ME, so why can't I??? The respectful rule would instead be, well, none of us sleep in the same bed as our boyfriends around each other until the boyfriend becomes at least a fiance.

No really. That made sense to ME! Haha!

I'm lucking out here because Ariana is just seven, so there IS no idea that Alex and I sleep together ever. By the time she could even puzzle that one together, we'll be married so it won't matter.

Aw shit, I said marriage...*shudders and runs away screaming*

9:31 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I heard that, Kira!! I heard that!!!

Have I told you lately that you are awesome??

My word verification is:

z m c o u g h !

Ha! Ha! Ha!!

10:27 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Yes, you have! You make me flush all the time with how much you compliment me. Sometimes I go onto another blog and see you comment something like, "Listen to Kira. She's wise," and I turn beet red and sputter...haha! Thanks, dear! I appreciate it!

5:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home