Pondering the complexities of life.

Saturday, October 22

Meet the Parents

Imagine the nicest, friendliest, most warm and welcoming people your mind can conjure up. Those are Paul's parents. I met them last night.

Whatever anxiety I may have felt in advance vanished immediately after his mother opened the door. I wanted Paul to enter first and introduce me, but ever-the-gentleman, he ushered me ahead of him. I had to step around his mother to enter the narrow foyer, and I felt uneasy entering the home of someone to whom I'd not yet been introduced. Silly me. Paul's mother didn't wait for formal introductions. She hugged me like I was family. As she turned around to hug Paul, his Dad arrived to add his bear hug and cheek kiss to the warm welcome.

I sat on the couch with Paul's mother, so she could show me family snap shots. Then she pulled out a photo album of places she and Paul's dad have visited with a group of senior travelers they vacation with. She excitedly pointed out the highlights: Niagara falls (it's prettier from the Canada side), Myrtle Beach, New Hampshire, Washington, Las Vegas, Philadelphia... If I'd never been to a place, she'd tell me how much I'd like it and that Paul and I should try to go there. Paul's dad has a witty, understated sense of humor that takes you by surprise...just like Paul. They are the most adorable couple. Paul's older brother and sister both died in their 30s, each from a different medical condition. Afterward Paul underwent lots of tests and was given a clean bill of health. He gets physicals yearly. Losing two siblings prematurely was a bizarre tragedy, apparently not some sort of genetic defect. You'd think losing two of their three children would make Paul's parents morose or at least somewhat withdrawn. On the contrary, they are cheerful and incredibly warm and friendly. They both kissed me when I left and asked me to come back again soon. I left there feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Now I know where Paul gets it.

Oh yeah...and Paul started the evening by giving me a red rose. I've currently got three vases in use. He spoils me. I love it.

11 Comments:

Blogger bornfool said...

Another mark in the plus column. :)

9:09 AM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Wow, terrific! That couldn't have gone better. It's a relief to know that his parents weren't protective and suspicious of anybody who was trying to be with their one remaining child, too. That's AWFUL to lose two siblings early for no real reason other than coincidence.

It's great when you can get along with the family of your beloved. I get along smashingly well with Alex's family, but they are not as...well, together/normal/focused/responsible as I'm sure Paul's parents are. For some reason, his mom looks to ME for advice, and Alex's young sister treats me in the same way. It's wierd to be seen as the font of wisdom in his family, but I like it...haha!

9:11 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

BF: Yeah...it's almost eerie. Could it get any better??

KIRA: EVERYONE I know looks at you as the font of wisdom!! (And at Alex as the expert at how to romance women!) Why should his family look at you any differently??

What are you doing on line girl?? You should be having too much fun for this!

9:44 AM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

And the (heart) beat goes on. Platonic hugs available by email if you need 'em, but it looks like you won't.

12:16 PM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

And the (heart) beat goes on. Platonic hugs available by email if you need 'em, but it looks like you won't.

12:16 PM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

My wife and I are getting to know our son's girlfriend just now. It's his first serious relationship, so it's all new to us too. But one thing my son has told us NOT to do is to drag out old pictures or videos to show. Of course, like Paul's parents, it's what we would most like to do. (Sigh) To each his own.

12:30 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Hoss: Your hugs are always wanted and appreciated!!

Hoss: Your hugs are always wanted and appreciated!!
:-)

Dave: To her credit, she didn't show me any old photos of Paul as a child - or worse yet - Paul and the ex! It was more a photo introduction to the rest of the relatives, which I found very sweet.

1:41 PM

 
Blogger naughtygirl said...

awwww im glad everything is going so well

9:19 PM

 
Blogger poopie said...

Sounds like love all the way around.....

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Paige said...

Vegas Baby! Did seeing the pics of Vegas get you excited?

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

Sounds like it could not possibly have gone any better. I'm so glad you had a smooth first meeting and they were so welcoming. And doubly nice to know that Paul comes from such a loving family.

11:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home