Pondering the complexities of life.

Thursday, October 27

THE SCAM!


Here's how the scam works.

The big retail chain, let's call it "Big Bargain", tells you it will match any competitor's price - even offers to match LESS 10% OFF - so long as it is the identical model number. Sounds fair. You wouldn't expect them to match the price of some lesser or generic brand on a similar name brand item. You write down the number on the display model and set off to see if the competition offers it for less.

Searching on line, Google tells you it can't find an EXACT match, but will show you something similar. Checking on that "similar" item, you discover it is identical to the item viewed at "Big Bargain", with a slightly modified model number. Go to "Big Bargain's" website. Type in both model numbers - the one displayed on the merchandise in their store and the one every other retailer AND the product's manufacturer uses to identify the item. The commonly used model number is listed as a "special order" item, at a retail price 8-9% higher than the exact same item, listed under their "unique" model number.

The point is: you will NEVER find a competitor selling the exact same model number at a cheaper price because the model number is ONLY sold by "Big Bargain".

If you do your homework in advance and get the manufacturer's model number, you can still use the manipulative big chain's price as leverage to bargain on the price at another retail establishment. (I saved 8.5%.) But don't salivate over the "Less 10%" claim, because you'll never see it.

Lesson learned...

9 Comments:

Blogger bornfool said...

Well, 8.5% is not bad. I need you with me the next time I make a big purchase. I never negotiate, I just pay what they ask.

5:43 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

I'm glad you didn't let them get away with NO discount! Sheesh! Big scam indeed!

6:48 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

BF: I don't negotiate either. I will shop around and compare prices, but when I find the lowest asking price, I pay it. Paul on the other hand believes that it never hurts to ASK for a discount. HE is the one who got me the discount from HIS local appliance dealer, using the selling price at the big name chain to bargain down the price.

Kira: The discount was just by negotiating with ANOTHER store. Big Chain store will no doubt continue to run this scam unless or until it becomes illegal. You just don't HAVE to fall for it.

9:29 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

I see there are no scruples in business in the US either, they never stop finding new ways to screw us do they?

10:00 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

We learned the same thing with mattresses. The big manufacturers sell the EXACT same mattresses to different retailers with some small difference like a different color covering and get away with calling it a different model. Then the retailer can claim the cheaper mattress you found somewhere else doesn't count toward the low price guarantee because, duh, it's not the same model, when you KNOW it really is. They can make that 10% guarantee and know they'll never have to honor it because they know they've got exclusive rights to "their" model. Shady business practices, if you ask me. Ugh!

12:26 AM

 
Blogger kenju said...

I discovered that "never the same exact model number" thing a few years ago. Bummer.

4:06 AM

 
Blogger Mona said...

That's the kind of thing that CHAFES MY HIDE.

Gotta love capitalism, eh?

WW, I went to Sandra's site, thanks for sending me. Hoping that sharing the pain does something.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Thanks, Mona! I knew I could count on you!

12:14 PM

 
Blogger acw said...

Thanks for doing the legwork for us. I never would have though to do all this.

12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home